I will not promise to be more regular in my blogging. Did that and obviously it did not work, but enough of that.

As a young man (I am now 70) I abused my body, as do many young people (not just males). Both hips are shot, both knees about the same, mainly from parachute landing and a few dropped motorcycles. The beautiful walk on landings one sees at various attractions are not possible with military parachutes which come down much faster. Anyway, about 6 years ago I was walking along minding my own business and there was a sound like canvas tearing accompanied by blinding pain and me on the ground. My right knee was shot. After trying to get the Veterans Administration to fix it I got a local orthopedic surgeon to do a repair and he did a beautiful job. Eventually his fine work ran its course and I was bone on bone and limping along like a movie character.

My local VA is great but the red tape and BS they have to go through caused a February request to be translated to a local surgeon in a local hospital on September 14. Better than nothing but a long wait never the less. As I write this I am 12 days post op and walking around the house. I am walking carefully for two reasons, if I fall and/or twist I could rip open the incision, but more interestingly my body is used to limping and I have to concentrate on walking pain free without a limp.

As to the process it has been a wonder. I was scheduled for  a one PM check-in and three PM surgery. I arrived at one, was on my way up to surgery by 1:15. I was immediately taken into pre-op and immediately and professionally prepared. The Doctor came in, asked how I was and why I was there – I said for my right knee and he said “I agree” and handed me a marker and said initial where you want me to work. I did, he took the pen initialed the other side of the knee and said “see you shortly”.

I woke up in my room about 6:30 and could not move my legs. The nurse told me there was a machine on them that was compressing and relaxing to make sure the blood moved back to the heart and that there would be no clots or pooling.  She asked if I was hungry and I said yes so she gave me a menu like a restaurant and I ordered a cheeseburger and an omelet ( I had been “nothing by mouth” for 18 hours). Twenty minutes later I was eating.

The next morning the doctor was there at 5:30! He looked at my leg, my vitals, asked me how I was, told me the surgery went very well and left. Breakfast from the menu again and after I settled for awhile a lady came from Physical therapy and got me out of bed, showed my how to use the walker and had me walk around the ward. No pain.

Lunch from the menu, and another Physical Therapy visit. she gave me a sheet of exercises to do at home, we did each one to be sure I understood them and she walked me around the ward again and told me I would be discharged. Twenty-eight hours after I walked in, I walked out.

Since then I have had visits at home from a nurse and a physical therapist. I am making great strides and am extremely happy. So why did I write this? If you have been suffering from worn out joints, get it done, you will be so happy you waited no longer and wished you had done it early. If you see an old man in stockings he probably isn’t a cross dresser, he is probably post op from a new hip or knee 🙂


About asiadiver

Love to travel, love southeast Asia and the people and cultures (and food) SCUBA is a passion but more difficult as I get older so photography and writing have become most important. I have learned more talking with other travelers in local bars in Hong Kong or Bangkok or sharing a tuk tuk than I did in all my years in university. Not a man of the world but an average Joe just being observant, polite and listening.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.